Share:
Original Article

Clinical and Histopathological Evaluation of Forty-one Cases of Pediatric Granuloma Annulare

Author Affiliation(s)

Abstract

Introduction: Granuloma annulare (GA) is a non-infectious granulomatous disease that can affect children and adults. Although many studies have been conducted adult GA patients, the literature on pediatric GA cases is limited.


Objectives: Therefore, this study aimed to examine the demographic, clinical, and pathological features of pediatric GA cases.


Methods: This study was performed retrospectively in a single-center tertiary dermatology hospital. Demographic characteristics and clinical and histopathological features were recorded.


Results: Forty-one participants were included in this study, of which 66% were female. The mean age was 3.8 ± 2.6 years, and the mean lesion duration was 7.5 ± 10.3 months. The involvement of 78% of the patients was localized, and the remaining 22% was generalized. Asthma (30%) was the most common comorbid disease. Histopathological examination was performed on twenty-one patients, and the infiltrate pattern was interstitial in 71% of the cases and palisadic in 29%. Generalized distribution, trunk involvement, and concomitant disease tended to be higher in patients with an interstitial pattern than in those with a palisadic pattern.


Conclusions: Atopy and asthma should be questioned in pediatric GA cases. There are differences between involvement, distribution, concomitant disease, and histopathological patterns, which may indicate differences in pathogenesis. 

Keywords : granuloma annulare, Asthma, histopathology, interstitial type, palisadic type

References

1. Takayama K, Satoh T, Yokozeki H. Papular granuloma annulare with subcutaneous granulomatous reaction induced by a bee sting. Acta Derm Venereol. 2008;88(5):519–20. 2. Emre S, Unal E, Celik B, Sungu N. The case of granuloma annulare associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Dermatol Ther. 2022;35(5):e15369. 3. Suzuki T, et al. Subcutaneous granuloma annulare following influenza vaccination in a patient with diabetes mellitus. Dermatologica. 2014;32:55. 4. Joshi TP, Duvic M. Granuloma Annulare: An updated review of epidemiology, pathogenesis, and treatment options. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2022;23(1):37–50. 5. Barbieri JS, Rosenbach M, Rodriguez O, Margolis DJ. Association of granuloma annulare with Type 2 diabetes, hyperlipidemia, autoimmune disorders, and hematologic malignant neoplasms. JAMA Dermatol. 2021;157:817. 6. Wu W, Robinson-Bostom L, Kokkotou E, et al. Dyslipidemia in granuloma annulare: a case-control study. Arch Dermatol. 2012;148:1131. 7. Thornsberry LA, English JC. Etiology, diagnosis, and therapeutic management of granuloma annulare: an update. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2013;14:279–90. 8. Martinón-Torres F, Martinón-Sánchez JM, Martinón-Sánchez F. Localized granuloma annulare in children: a review of 42 cases. Eur J Pediatr. 1999;158:866. 9. Patrizi A, Neri I, Guerrini V, Marini R, Fiorillo L. Granuloma annulare: clinical and laboratory findings in a pediatric group of patients. Acta Derm Venereol. 1996;76:326–8. 10. Rapelanoro-Rabenja F, Maleville J, Taïeb A. Localized granuloma annulare in children: outcome in 30 cases. Arch Pediatr. 1995;2:1145–8. 11. Min MS, Wu J, He H, Sanz-Cabanillas JL, Del Duca E, Zhang N, et al. Granuloma annulare skin profile shows activation of T-helper cell type 1, T-helper cell type 2, and Janus kinase pathways. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020;83:63–70. 12. Wang A, Rahman NT, McGeary MK, Murphy M, McHenry A, Peterson D, Bosenberg M, Flavell RA, King B, Damsky W. Treatment of granuloma annulare and suppression of proinflammatory cytokine activity with tofacitinib. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2021;147(5):1795–1809. 13. Damsky W, King BA. Treatment of granuloma annulare with tofacitinib 2% ointment. JAAD Case Rep. 2019;30;6(1):69–71. 14. Georas SN, Donohue P, Connolly M, Wechsler ME. JAK inhibitors for asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2021;148(4):953–963. 15. Nakashima C, Yanagihara S, Otsuka A. Innovation in the treatment of atopic dermatitis: emerging topical and oral Janus kinase inhibitors. Allergol Int. 2022;71(1):40–46. 16. Piette EW, Rosenbach M. Granuloma annulare. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016;75(3):457–465. 17. Ronen S, Rothschild M, Suster S. The interstitial variant of granuloma annulare: clinicopathologic study of 69 cases with a comparison with conventional granuloma annulare. J Cutan Pathol. 2019;46(7):471–478. 18. Johnston JJ, Spelman L. Pressure-induced localised granuloma annulare following use of an elbow splint. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2017;41(3):311–313. 19. Tan HH, Goh CL. Granuloma annulare: a review of 41 cases at the National Skin Centre. Ann Acad Med Singap. 2000;29(6):714–8.

Send mail to Author


Send Cancel